Tuesday 18 March 2014

PubHD talk

After 6 months or so doing my PhD I am preparing to give my first talk about the research I am undertaking and its purpose within the literature in the field thus far. Nervous and excited would be a good way to describe how I am feeling currently. Talking for 10 minutes then fielding questions from a crowd in a pub (The Vat and Fiddle in Nottingham, if anyone is interested)armed with just a whiteboard, pens and whatever remains in my head when I get up there. As much as I love performing in front of a crowd this is a whole other ball game and totally new to me so I just hope I can do a good job and not make any glaring errors. At least it is not just me, there are two other PhD students giving talks as part of a PubHD event. If anyone wants to know more about PubHD follow the link: http://pubhd.wordpress.com/

I think this talk has come at the right time as the PhD work seems to be picking up and the direction I want to take is becoming clearer. I have already got some good results :)

This is all making me reflect on my progress so far and I am pleased with how far I have come and feel ready to take the step into finally doing an academic talk (albeit in a pub, but hey I have to have some sort of comfort), something I would never have thought possible or dreamed of a year or so ago after returning from a summer in America.


Anyway back to script writing and finalising ready for the talk tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment