Thursday 12 September 2013

University and festival times :) 2

Well life has been hectic over the past two or three weeks.
It was then I was contacted about an opportunity to do a PhD at the University of Nottingham which I thought had gone as I had applied months ago but nope, so I am now going there to study at the end of this month :) Since the e-mail it has been a whirlwind to get paperwork done and things ready but I can't wait!!! To top it off the PhD is in a genetics based topic!!! I finally feel like I am getting somewhere after almost a year of trying. So on Tuesday I went to explore the city and see where I will be studying and sort out details. I can say I love the place already and felt at home there even in such a short space of time.
In amongst that excitement on Monday I went to the British Science Festival that was held in Newcastle (a city I am very familiar with). I think this festival can be described as the Edinburgh Fringe for nerds. I was definitely disappointed to only make one day but in that day I sat in on two very interesting talks: one on perception which featured a little bit on autism, and another on how chimpanzee brains differ from ours. I would have loved to have sat in on Michael Mosley's talk yesterday....soooo many amazing things. There were even interactive exhibits and street entertainers around Newcastle University so it was truly for all ages. Even the cat looked interested for all of a second
As you can gather a very busy two days but they were well worth it.
Any advice on doing a PhD and balancing the workload would be much appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment